Many people think heartburn is caused by an OVERproduction of stomach acid. However, this is a merely a symptom of a greater problem. The real problem is that your body is not properly digesting your food. When trying to prevent heartburn don’t focus on neutralizing the acid in your stomach, instead focus on helping your body properly digest the food you eat 🙂
Simple Prevention Techniques:
- DON’T CHEW ANTACID PRODUCTS. Antacids keep your body from secreting digestive enzymes OR they neutralize the enzymes so they are completely ineffective. Without enzymes, proteins (think heartburn triggers like: meat & cheese) cannot be properly digested. These undigested proteins will then sit in your stomach for hours… causing heartburn. Eventually they will hit your intestines causing more heartburn as well as gas, bloating, constipation, and diarrhea.
- EAT REAL FOOD. Ideally, it shouldn’t come in a package. But if it does, can you pronounce and explain what each ingredient listed on the package is? If not, you shouldn’t be eating it.
- EAT SLOWER AND CHEW THOROUGHLY. Many digestive problems are caused by simply not chewing your food enough.
- CHEW ALTOIDS AND TAKE DIGESTIVE ENZYMES. The altoids contain peppermint which helps promote digestion and relieve pain. The digestive enzymes will help replace the ones you’ve been killing with antacids and will also help promote digestion.
- APPLE CIDER VINEGAR. Drink a combination of 1 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar and 1 Tbs honey mixed into a glass of warm water 3x daily. This will help to restore normal HCI secretions, which will help reactivate the enzymes in your stomach and promote proper digestion.
- SLIPPERY ELM BARK. Take 1-2 teaspoons 3x a day. Slippery Elm Bark promotes healing by acting as an “internal bandage” for inflammation along your digestive tract. Slippery Elm Bark is purchased as a powder. To consume it simply drink it with a glass of water or stir into a porridge consistency.