Anxiety is more common than most people realize. According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America it is the most common mental illness in the United States, affecting 40 million people or about 18% of the U.S. population.
Anxiety can be a chronic feeling of stress or can occur periodically when the body’s “flight or fight” response kicks in at the wrong time. Basically a person’s brain tells their nervous system to release hormones into the blood to prepare the body for intense activity. This causes feelings of uneasiness, uncertainty, dread, worry, and fear… which is often accompanied with symptoms of dizziness, dry mouth, chest tightness, upset stomach, sweaty palms, and the inability to relax.
While there is no “magic bullet” to cure anxiety, fortunately there are natural ways to treat it. A healthy lifestyle and diet can often have a bigger effect on lowering stress levels than even the strongest of prescription pills.
Helpful Lifestyle Habits Include:
- Practicing deep breathing exercises
- Exercising regularly
- Eating a healthy diet (see helpful foods)
- Getting enough rest
- Maintaining a faith in God
Helpful Foods Include:
- Foods that contain Tryptophan, an amino acid which is a precursor to the neurotransmitter serotonin. This includes bananas 😉
- Apricots, Asparagus, Avocados, Bananas, and Broccoli
- Raw nuts and seeds
- Leafy Greens
- Cayenne Pepper
- Kava (1-2 dropperfuls, 3x daily)
- As well as: English Lavender, Yellow Jasmine, Lemon Balm, Buchu, Gotu Kola, Hops, Kava, Skullcap, St. John’s Wart, Valerian, Blue Cohosh, Passionflower, and more.